2015 - 2019
Description for Bagré Multi-Purpose Project (Burkina Faso)
The “Pôle de Croissance de Bagré” Project (Bagré Pole Growth Project) offered a hydro-agricultural and hydro-electrical development for the province of Boulgou owing to the achievement of a total control of the water by employing an earth-fill dam and a hydropower plant located along the Nakanbé River, at about 30 km from the Ghanaian border.
Studio Pietrangeli is proud to have participated in the redevelopment of the Boulgou province by offering the possibility of exploiting the many hectares of land around the river with irrigation of the area, thereby facilitating agriculture.
The Bagré dam was created in 1993 and the multi-purpose project was recovered to obtain a better use of the water resources of the area. With the realization of the project, in fact, about 15.000 ha dedicated to water management services, where 3.000 ha of these have been dedicated to the inhabitants and 12.000 ha to the agri-food industry. With the creation of the Bagré dam, 3.380 ha of downstream ground were removed to obtain total water control.
In addition to agricultural ad electrical production, the multi-purpose project allowed the supply of water for livestock and the creation of a gold mine, in the province of Boulgou.
To safely strengthen the area’s development, SP carried out the analysis of the actual conditions of the dam, especially the instrumentation, dam safety plans, including a break study and relative emergency preparedness plans.
Considering the proximity of the dam to the border and in view of assuring the safety of the population living in potentially flooded areas downstream in Burkina Faso and in Ghana, SP elaborated transboundary dam safety studies.
- Catchment (Surface = 33,500 km2)
- Earthfill dam (H = 41 m, L = 4.5 km, Reservoir = 1,700 Mm3)
- Hydropower production (No. 2 Kaplan Turbines, IP = 17 MW)
- Irrigation (No. 2 Irrigation canals, Irrigated surface = 8,100 hectares)
- Total installed population in the province (610,000 inhabitants)
- Sociologic survey aimed to the identification of water users, Environmental studies
- Land cover study using satellite imagery and RUSLE model
- Topographic survey with LiDAR technology
- Bathymetry on the reservoir
- Hydrologic study
- Assessment of dam conditions and particularly of the instrumentation
- Tender documents for reservoir refurbishment especially through de-silting works
- Dam Break studies in Burkina Faso and Ghana
- Emergency Preparedness Plans in Burkina Faso and Ghana
- Operation and Maintenance Manual
Bwari Aqueduct (Nigeria)
Water supply system for the district of Abuja, including pipelines, pumping...
Rio Mannu Multi-Purpose Project (Italy)
Concrete gravity dam for water supply and irrigation to be constructed in two...
Kabuyanda Multi-Purpose Project (Uganda)
Kabuyanda is a multipurpose dam envisaged for agriculture (paddy rice and...
Acerenza Dam (Italy)
Water storage plant for irrigation purposes with a reservoir capacity of 42...
Mulembo-Lelya Hydropower (Zambia)
Mulembo-Lelya is a hydropower project located...
Enguri Cascade Hydropower (Georgia)
ENGURI HPP Cascade envisages the construction of three hydropower plants on...
Namakhvani Hydropower (Georgia)
Namakhvani hydropower cascade, envisages the...
Muchinga Hydropower (Zambia)
Hydroelectric plant (IP = 255 MW) on the Lunsemfwa river downstream of the...
Hydropower Projects (Jamaica)
The scopes of the assignment, commissioned by...