The design of hydropower plants is currently the firm’s core activity. We learned the art of hydropower engineering in the 1960s and have continued to implement the hydroelectric power design over the years, gradually building up the unique interdisciplinary expertise that we have today in all aspects of the hydropower projects. Nowadays the hydroelectric power is the largest reliable source of renewable energy worldwide.
Bumbuna Hydropower (Sierra Leone)
This is one of our pet projects that we have faithfully followed for the past forty years notwithstanding several challenges (including civil war). It comprises a rockfill dam, 88 m high, and a generating plant with a capacity of 50 MW.
Gibe III Hydropower (Ethiopia)
The design of this record breaking 250 m high RCC dam has proved to be one of the biggest challenges faced by our engineers to date. The hydropower plant with its full capacity of 1'870 MW recently came on-line.
Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (Ethiopia)
This majestic project, born of the vision and imagination of Giorgio Pietrangeli, will become Africa's largest hydropower plant with its 6'000 MW of installed power. The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam project, on the Blue Nile, includes the world's largest RCC dams.
More than 30'000 MW designed
Studio Pietrangeli has over 50 years’ experience in the hydroelectric power plant design.From the beginning the centre of our hydropower engineering design has been the continuous pursuit of innovative solutions for generating hydroelectric power and unexplored paths for creating power plant, employing the most suitable methods to achieve an integrated development of our hydropower projects.
The firm’s first hydropower project was the Rio Grande power plant with pumped storage (750 MW) in Argentina, designed and built in the 1960s.
Over the years our expertise in hydropower engineering has grown: each of our hydroelectric power plant is unique and the experience gained in power generation lets us find tailored solutions for each hydropower project.
Over the past few years Studio Pietrangeli has realised several large projects of hydroelectric power plants becoming an Italian and International leader in the sector of hydropower engineering.
Today SP has successfully designed more than 100 hydroelectric power plants of all kind: with reservoirs, run-of-river, pumped storage, etc.. We have done all the hydropower engineering for power plants of all sizes, from very small ones (less then 1 MW) up to the world’s largest hydroelectric power plants (over 6’000 MW) working in 35 countries. Several of our hydropower projects are record-breaking such as Gibe III (1870 MW) and Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Hydroelectric Power Plant (6000 MW).
Our great commitment to renewable energy is based on our understanding of the importance of the environment value in our hydroelectric power plants, respect for environmental and social issues and the benefits to be brought to the communities affected by our hydropower projects.
No. 5 hydropower plants in operation for a total of 3000 MW
No. 2 enormous hydropower plants under construction, totalling over 8000 MW
No. 15 hydropower plants of all sizes under design for over 4000 MW
From the hydropower project ideation, trough the comprehensive analysis of all technical, economic and environmental aspects, all along the construction process up to the hydroelectric power plant operation.
Studio Pietrangeli offers all the engineering services required to realize hydroelectric power plants. We have incomparable expertise in the hydropower engineering and in-depth knowledge in each of the relevant works, including civil, electrical and mechanical parts, having successfully developed for over five decades projects of hydroelectric power plants in all its aspects and phases: from the initial conceptual ideation, through the prefeasibility and feasibility studies, the project optimization, the basic, detailed and construction design, up to the tender documents preparation.
Simultaneously with drafting of our hydropower projects, through our great skills we develop the Environmental and Social Impact Assessments, in line with local and international standards. We strongly care to assist our clients during all the phases of the project, from the initial study, design and tender, through the supervision of works and commissioning, up to the start-up and operation of the hydroelectric power plants.
Basing on our remarkable experience, founded on the excellence of Italian universities and on the know-how and inventive talent of the best minds in the hydroelectric power plant sector, we provide all types of integrated and interdisciplinary services investigations and studies (topographic, geological, geotechnical, hydrological, environmental and social, economic, financial, etc.) necessary to complete a hydroelectric project following best international standards.
Studio Pietrangeli offers its clients a full range of engineering consultancy services during design, construction, testing and operation of its plants. SP’s staff includes international consultants in the various engineering disciplines comprising civil, mechanical and electrical engineers, economists, environmental experts, etc.
Recently, the firm has become increasingly specialized in so-called “fast-track” projects, requiring a very short time
from conception of the idea to operation of the plant.
The special innovative techniques, required for these extremely fast designs, include intense use of the most up-to-date technologies such as satellite imagery, drones, laser scanning, helicopter surveys, surface geotechnics, and the like, for investigation purposes, combined with the vast experience and the sound engineering judgement of the firm’s senior engineers.
The firm's best business card is its innovative projects, brought to successfull completition through a strong partnership with its clients, together with the large and complex projects which have been accomplished.
Some of our most recent advanced designs include:
- Gibe III Hydropower (Ethiopia), Engineering for the hydropower plant including world’s highest RCC Gravity Dam
- Rumakali Hydropower (Tanzania), Engineering services for hydropower plant
- Namakhvani Hydropower (Georgia), Engineering services for a hydropower cascade
- Ruzizi's Transmission System (Africa), Engineering for Transmission System in DRC, Rwanda and Burundi
- Kidunda Multi-Purpose Project (Tanzania), Engineering for hydropower plant, water supply and irrigation
- HV Transmission Lines (Tanzania), Engineering services for rural electrification
- Kakono Hydropower (Tanzania), Engineering services for a hydropower plant and transmission line
- Malagarasi Hydropower (Tanzania), Engineering services for a hydro power plant and transmission line
- Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (Ethiopia), Design of an iconic dam and hydroelectric plant on the Blue Nile
- Lufubu Hydropower Cascade (Zambia), Engineering services for hydropower plants
- La Gogue Dam (Seychelles), Engineering for earthfill dam rehabilitation and a new water treatment plant
- Koysha Hydropower (Ethiopia), Engineering of Khoysha hpp with its high RCC gravity dam
- Kamuzu I Dam (Malawi), Engineering services for dam raising and rehabilitation
- Rogun Hydropower (Tajikistan), Engineering services for hydropower plant
- Snowy 2 Pumped Hydro Electric Scheme (Australia), Engineering for pumped hydro plant
- Dabus Hydropower (Ethiopia), Engineering services for hydropower cascade
- Anguilles Dam (Mauritius), Engineering services for urban water supply and irrigation
- Qaliwana Hydropower (Fiji), Engineering for new hydro and extension of Nadarivatu HPP
- Dam Break Studies (Mauritius), Flood management for several existing reservoirs
- Kariba Dam (Zambia-Zimbabwe), Engineering services for rehabilitation of the existing dam
- Hydropower Projects (Ghana), Engineering for ten hydropower plants
- Mulembo-Lelya Hydropower (Zambia), Engineering services for a hydropower project
- Kikonge Multi-Purpose Project (Tanzania), Engineering for hydropower plant, water supply and irrigation
- Grand Anse Dam (Seychelles), Engineering for water supply dam and treatment plant
- King Talal Hydropower (Jordan), Engineering services for new hydropower and upgrade existing multi-purpose plant
Drop on in
Studio Ing. G. Pietrangeli S.r.l.
Via Cicerone, 28
00193 Rome - Italy
Give us a call
Office: (+39) 06 3210880
Fax: (+39) 06 3227276