Government of Mauritius, Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities
2018 – in progress
Description for Dam Break Studies (Mauritius)
The assignment consists in the analysis of current conditions, dam break studies and relative emergency preparedness plan for five existing reservoirs in the island of Mauritius.
The dam break analysis and related emergency preparedness plan, is an important means for the safety of the population living on potentially flooded areas downstream of the dams. Studio Pietrangeli is proud of being an active firm involved in this topic with the goal to protect Muaritius’s inhabitants, fauna and flora, along with the water supply resources for irrigation and drinking purposes of the island.
Two reservoirs are in the District of Plaines Whilems, Mare aux Vacoas and Mare Longue reservoir. On the west side of the island, in the District of Black River it is located the La Ferme reservoir. The remaining two reservoirs, Midlands and Piton du Milieu, are located in the District of Moka, in the center of the island.
MARE AUX VACOAS RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( water supply, V = 19.5 Mm3 )
- Cogliano Dam ( Earthfill, H = 10 m, L = 1214 m )
- Tamarin Dam ( Earthfill, H = 11 m, L = 671 m )
- Mare Soulier Spillway Dam ( Masonry, ungated, H = 6 m, L = 706 m )
- Second Spillway Dam ( Masonry, ungated, H = 3.5 m, L = 358 m )
LA FERME RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( irrigation, V = 11.9 Mm3 )
- Earthfill Dam ( H = 3 ÷ 9 m, L = 1250 m )
- Masonry Dam ( H = 12 m, L = 276 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated masonry with concrete hearting with crest wall, L = 145 m )
- Reservoir ( water supply and irrigation, V = 25.5 Mm3 )
- Rockfill Dam with upstream asphalt face ( H = 20.5 m, L = 2449 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated, H = 30 m, L = 63 m )
MARE LONGUE RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( multipurpose, V = 7 Mm3 )
- Earthfill Dam ( H = 13 m, L = 768 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated concrete conical chute, L = 153 m )
PITON DU MILIEU RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( water supply, V = 3.0 Mm3 )
- Earthfill Dam ( H = 13.5 m, L = 836 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated concrete crest wall, L = 275 m )
- Secondary spillway ( Ungated concrete crest wall, L = 89 m )
Tana Beles Multi-Purpose Project (Ethiopia)
The ambitious Tana Beles project was located in the Metekel district of...
Chespi Hydropower (Ecuador)
Chespi is the first hydroelectric project of the Guayllabamba cascade with an...
Grand Anse Dam (Seychelles)
The water demand in Seychelles is continuously...
Maccheronis Dam (Italy)
Reservoir capacity augmentation through the heightening of an existing...
Hydropower Projects (Ghana)
The scope of the assignment, commissioned by...
Santu Miali Hydropower (Italy)
Refurbishment of the Santu Miali hydropower plant
La Gogue Dam (Seychelles)
The aims of the assignment are the Design Review...
Bosa Multi-purpose Project (Italy)
The Monte Crispu arch-gravity dam was realized...
Vranduk Hydropower (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Vranduk project consists in a run off river...