Government of Mauritius, Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities
2018 – in progress
Description for Dam Break Studies (Mauritius)
The assignment consists in the analysis of current conditions, dam break studies and relative emergency preparedness plan for five existing reservoirs in the island of Mauritius.
The dam break analysis and related emergency preparedness plan, is an important means for the safety of the population living on potentially flooded areas downstream of the dams. Studio Pietrangeli is proud of being an active firm involved in this topic with the goal to protect Muaritius’s inhabitants, fauna and flora, along with the water supply resources for irrigation and drinking purposes of the island.
Two reservoirs are in the District of Plaines Whilems, Mare aux Vacoas and Mare Longue reservoir. On the west side of the island, in the District of Black River it is located the La Ferme reservoir. The remaining two reservoirs, Midlands and Piton du Milieu, are located in the District of Moka, in the center of the island.
MARE AUX VACOAS RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( water supply, V = 19.5 Mm3 )
- Cogliano Dam ( Earthfill, H = 10 m, L = 1214 m )
- Tamarin Dam ( Earthfill, H = 11 m, L = 671 m )
- Mare Soulier Spillway Dam ( Masonry, ungated, H = 6 m, L = 706 m )
- Second Spillway Dam ( Masonry, ungated, H = 3.5 m, L = 358 m )
LA FERME RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( irrigation, V = 11.9 Mm3 )
- Earthfill Dam ( H = 3 ÷ 9 m, L = 1250 m )
- Masonry Dam ( H = 12 m, L = 276 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated masonry with concrete hearting with crest wall, L = 145 m )
- Reservoir ( water supply and irrigation, V = 25.5 Mm3 )
- Rockfill Dam with upstream asphalt face ( H = 20.5 m, L = 2449 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated, H = 30 m, L = 63 m )
MARE LONGUE RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( multipurpose, V = 7 Mm3 )
- Earthfill Dam ( H = 13 m, L = 768 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated concrete conical chute, L = 153 m )
PITON DU MILIEU RESERVOIR
- Reservoir ( water supply, V = 3.0 Mm3 )
- Earthfill Dam ( H = 13.5 m, L = 836 m )
- Spillway ( Ungated concrete crest wall, L = 275 m )
- Secondary spillway ( Ungated concrete crest wall, L = 89 m )
Legadadi Dam (Ethiopia)
Addis Ababa urban water supply scheme with a storage capacity of 40 Mm3.
Bujagali Hydropower (Uganda)
Hydroelectric project on the Victoria Nile River within an installed power of...
Arda Cascade (Bulgaria)
Hydropower cascade including the existing plants of Karjali (IP = 106 MW),...
Lefkara Storage Plant (Cyprus)
Storage works for Famagusta urban water supply.
Namakhvani Hydropower (Georgia)
Namakhvani hydropower cascade, envisages the...
Acerenza Dam (Italy)
Water storage plant for irrigation purposes with a reservoir capacity of 42...
Kamuzu I Dam (Malawi)
The scope of the assignment is the raising,...
Montedoglio Dam (Italy)
Montedoglio dam has suffered some damages at the...
King Talal Hydropower (Jordan)
The assignment comprises the assessment of conditions of the existing plant...