Benishangull Gumuz National Regional State
Salini Costruttori S.p.A.
2010 – in progress
Description for Grand Ethiopian Renassaince Dam
This majestic project, born of the vision and imagination of Giorgio Pietrangeli, will become Africa's largest hydropower plant with its 6000 MW of installed power. The Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam project, on the Blue Nile, includes the world's largest RCC dam.
(Catchment Area = 172,250 km2, Total Storage = 63,000 Mm3)
Main dam ( Gravity RCC type, H = 175 m, Crest Length = 1780 m, Crest Elev. = 645 m.a.s.l.)
- Saddle dam (Rockfill dam with Concrete Face, H = 55 m, Crest Length = 4,800 m)
- Spillway ( No. 6 gates 14x15.5 m, Q = 10,500 m3/sec )
- Power Waterways ( Penstocks No 15, L = 180 m, Average Diameter = 8.5 m )
- N° 4 diversions culverts ( L =210 m, Average Diameter = 8 m )
- Power house ( Outdoor, No. 2, 10+6 Francis Turbines, IP = 6,000 MW)
- River Bridge ( Total Length =260 m, Width = 10 m, Piers No 6, Max Span Length = 72 m)
Dabus HPP cascade is located on the Dabus river, a north-flowing tributary of...
Dire Dam (Ethiopia)
Earthfill dam with impermeable core for water supply to Addis Ababa and to...
Uribante Doradas (Venezuela)
Hydroelectric project with IP = 300 MW.
Gilgel Gibe (Ethiopia)
Hydroelectric power plant (IP = 200 MW) including rockfill dam, underground...
Djouè river hydroelettric plant (tributary of Congo).
Gibe V (Ethiopia)
Gibe V is the fifth stage of the Gibe-Omo hydroelectric cascade which...
Reservoir capacity augmentation through the heightening of an existing...
Chespi is the first hydroelectric project of the Guayllabamba cascade with an...
Three-dam projects for irrigation purposes.