Jordan Valley Authority
2016 - in progress
Description for King Talal Hydropower (Jordan)
The assignment comprises the assessment of conditions of the existing plant (including a dam for multi-purposes uses, waterway, a powerhouse at dam toe) and the feasibility study of refurbishment and upgrading of the existing hpp (up to 12 MW) together with a new plant (18.4 MW) located 12 km downstream of the existing one.
The assignment also foresees a Reconnaissance Study for hpps on 3 existing dams Mujib, Tannur and Wadi Arab.
Existing scheme (to be refurbished and upgraded):
- King Talal Earthfill Dam (H = 108 m, L_crest = 350 m)
- Reservoir for irrigation and hydropower: (V = 85 Mm3)
- Existing power house at dam toe (Outdoor, IP = 4 MW, H = 107 m, N° 2 Francis Turbines)
New hydropower plant:
- Additional powerhouse at dam toe (Outdoor, IP = 8 MW, H = 107 m, N° 2 Francis Turbines)
- Waterway : tunnel (L = 3 km, D = 2.5 m), Pipeline (L = 8 km, D = 2.4 m), Penstock (L = 1 km, D = 1.8 m)
- Downstream powerhouse (Outdoor, IP = 18.4 MW, H = 290 m, N° 2 Francis Turbines)
- Assessment of the conditions of the existing King Talal dam and Hpp
- Pre-feasibility study of refurbishment/upgrading of the existing and a new powerhouse at King Talal
- Feasibility study of refurbishment/upgrading of the existing and a new powerhouse at King Talal
- Environmental & Social Impact Assessment
- Bathymetrical survey, Investigations
- Reconnaissance study for the implementation of hydropower in 3 existing dams
Kabwe Aqueduct (Zambia)
Kabwe urban water supply scheme.
Reservoir storage capacity: 12 Mm³.
Namakhvani Hydropower (Georgia)
Namakhvani hydropower cascade, envisages the...
Batoka Gorge Hydropower (Zambia/Zimbabwe)
The prestigious project of Batoka Gorge, with...
Gibe II Hydropower (Ethiopia)
Gibe II is the second stage of the Gibe-Omo hydroelectric cascade which...
Tana Beles Multi-Purpose Project (Ethiopia)
The ambitious Tana Beles project was located in the Metekel district of...
Dam Break Studies (Mauritius)
The assignment consists in the analysis of...
Acerenza Dam (Italy)
Water storage plant for irrigation purposes with a reservoir capacity of 42...
San Lorenzo Hydropower (Italy)
San Lorenzo (Sestu) is a small hydroelectric plant to supply the water...
Malagarasi Hydropower (Tanzania)
Malagarasi HPP will be a run-of-the river...