Viti Levu Island, Fiji
European Investment Bank
2018 - in progress
Description for Qaliwana Hydropower (Fiji)
This is the first Studio Pietrangeli’s project in Oceania. With the already strongly established activites in Africa, America and Eurasia, it takes the firm's presence to a global level.
The project includes a new plant, Qaliwana hydropower, and the upgrading of the existing Nadarivatu hydroelectric scheme.
The layout of Qaliwana hydropower will include an arch gravity dam, penstocks and an outdoor powerhouse (IP=18 MW). This plant will receive also the flows also from Upper Wailoa catchment, through weirs and several tunnels.
Nadarivatu hpp, that is the second largest hydroelectric scheme in Fiji. The assignment foresees its expansion through a third turbine that will create additional 18 MW of IP reaching an installed power of 60 MW.
The assignment is financed and managed by the European Investment Bank, World’s largest lender for the water sector and owned directly by the European Union member states. We will work in collaboration with Energy Fiji Limited.
The construction of these new hydropower projects will substantially increase the hydropower capacity in fiji, matching the increase of the demand in the country.
UPPER WAILOA'S BASIN WATER TRANSFER:
- Weirs on tributaries of the Wailoa river ( concrete, overflowing crest, No. 5 )
- Waterway tunnels ( Ltot = 13.5 km, Q = 4 m3/s )
QALIWANA DAM AND HPP:
- Concrete arch gravity dam ( H = 63 m )
- Intake tower
- Power Waterways ( tunnel L = 2 km, steel penstock L = 0.3 km )
- Power House ( Outdoor type, IP = 18 MW, Hgross = 134 m )
- HV transmission lines to existing 132 kV grid
- Access roads
- Existing power waterways ( low pressure tunnel L = 2 km, steel penstock L = 1.6 km )
- Existing power house ( No. 2 Pelton turbines, IP = 42 MW, Hgross = 337 m, E = 101 GWh/y )
- Expansion from 42 MW to 60 MW ( additional third unit, IP = 18 MW )
Plaine Hollandaise Dam ( Seychelles )
The project is aimed at increasing the drinking...
Rio Mannu Multi-Purpose Project (Italy)
Concrete gravity dam for water supply and irrigation to be constructed in two...
Bwari Aqueduct (Nigeria)
Water supply system for the district of Abuja, including pipelines, pumping...
La Gogue Dam (Seychelles)
The aims of the assignment are the Design Review...
Koysha Hydropower (Ethiopia)
Koysha (2’160 MW, under construction) is the...
San Lorenzo Hydropower (Italy)
San Lorenzo (Sestu) is a small hydroelectric plant to supply the water...
Bumbuna Hydropower (Sierra Leone)
The Bumbuna Hydroelectric Project (BHP) is the...
Namakhvani Hydropower (Georgia)
Namakhvani hydropower cascade, envisages the...
Genzano Storage Plant (Italy)
Water storage for irrigation, capacity 58 Mm³.